WGR Management and Vision
Make a Donation
Join our Network
Towards a grasslands national park: Creating a vision for the Western Grassland Reserve – and where to for management?
Join the Melbourne Strategic Assessment team at DELWP and the Grassy Plains Network for two site visits to the Western Grassland Reserve and for three online forums.
Our aim is to begin a community visioning process for what our future national park might be like, and to tackle the complex management issues becoming increasingly apparent across this area.
Please join us and help us take an important step in collectively working towards an inspiring outcome for the Western Grassland Reserve.
Speakers include representatives from Wyndham City Council, DELWP, ARI, Parks Victoria, management contractors and the Grassy Plains Network.
SITE VISITS: Understanding the on-ground realities of the Western Grassland Reserve
Site visit 1: Experiencing the Western Grassland reserve
Join our guided tour of the northern section of the Western Grassland Reserve. Visit a range of grasslands, from good to bad, and finish at the Mount Cottrell Bowls Club for light refreshments and a discussion about the complex realities of this important reserve, our aspirations, the visitor experiences the Western Grassland Reserve can offer, and how we can engage the public.
Who should attend?
This site visit is suitable for anyone interested in the future of the Western Grassland Reserve.
Please attend our online forum ‘Introducing the Western Grassland Reserve’ or view the recording (at https://grassyplains.net.au/wgr-management-and-vision/) before coming along to this event.
When: 1pm to 5:30pm, Sunday 27 November
Where: 1307-1349 Mount Cottrell Rd, Rockbank (TBC).
Cost: Free, but bookings essential: https://events.humanitix.com/wgr-site-visit-1-general-audience-future-experiences
Site visit 2: Managing grasslands
Join this tour with grassland experts and visit recoverable grassland blocks in the southern section of the Western Grassland Reserve.
- Find out how we can begin to restore these recoverable blocks and discuss the management practices needed to achieve this goal
- Take a look at a weed-dominated block to consider what management and restoration is feasible
- Visit grassland blocks which have been managed for several years by Parks Victoria
- Finish at Little River Mechanics Institute Hall for a light lunch. Join a discussion about management challenges and how we can work together to achieve good conservation outcomes.
Who should attend?
Our second site visit is more technical and suited to those with an in-depth interest in grassland management issues. For important background information, please attend online forums 2 and 3 or view the recorded versions (at https://grassyplains.net.au/wgr-management-and-vision/) before this event.
When: 9:30am to 3pm, Sunday 4 December
Where: Little River Mechanics Institute Hall, 8 Rothwell Rd, Little River VIC 3211
Cost: Free, but bookings essential: https://events.humanitix.com/wgr-site-visit-2-technical-audience-management-options
ONLINE FORUMS: Important background to the complex issues that affect the future of the Western Grassland Reserve
Each forum will be recorded and available online (see https://grassyplains.net.au/wgr-management-and-vision/) for those unable to attend. They will also include Q&A sessions.
Online forum 1: Introducing the Western Grassland Reserve
Get to know the Western Grassland Reserve and find out about its history, significance, biodiversity, current status and governance. Hear from the Grassy Plains Network, Arthur Rylah Institute and DELWP and learn about the opportunities and barriers to creating a magnificent national park. This forum will include an optional Q&A session. Our speakers are:
- Adrian Marshall, Facilitator, Grassy Plains Network
- Steve Sinclair, Senior Scientist, Arthur Rylah Institute
- Ben Nam, Manager Melbourne Strategic Assessment
When: 6pm to 8pm, Tuesday 22 November
Booking and Zoom details: https://events.humanitix.com/wgr-online-forum-1-general-background
Online forum 2: Managing the Western Grassland Reserve
Hear from Wyndham City Council and contractors about interim management of privately owned sections of the Western Grassland Reserve. Find out about their successes and failures, and the challenges going forward. We will also hear about Parks Victoria’s management activities and plans. Our speakers include:
- Facilitator: Jonathan Wilson, Project Officer, Melbourne Strategic Assessment
- Vanessa Hutchins, Acting Environmental Land Planner, Wyndham City Council
- Daniel Young, TREC Land Services
- James Neil, Project Officer, Parks Victoria
When: 7pm to 8:30pm, Thursday 24 November
Booking and Zoom details: https://events.humanitix.com/wgr-online-forum-2-management.
Online forum 3: Monitoring the Western Grassland Reserve – and future priorities
Hear about monitoring and surveying activities in the Western Grassland Reserve in this two-part forum:
- Steve Sinclair (ARI) will talk about grassland quality and implications for future management.
- Ben Nam (MSA program, DELWP) will outline management activities and priorities, including up-coming land purchase, grassland management practices and decision-making, and funding challenges.
When: 7pm to 8:30pm, Tuesday 29 November
Booking and Zoom details: https://events.humanitix.com/wgr-online-forum-monitoring-future-actions.
For further information
Julie Power, Communications Manager, Melbourne Strategic Assessment, DELWP
0412 989 822
Adrian Marshall, Facilitator, Grassy Plains Network
0413 757 173
Recordings of Online Forums
- Download full summary of events, including survey, workshops, discussions here
- Download video recording of Online Forum 1: Introducing the Western Grassland Reserve here (large file, 720Mb)
- Download video recording of Online Forum 2: Managing the Western Grassland Reserve: Part 1 here, Part 2 here. The recording is in two parts because, for privacy reasons, we couldn’t record a central portion of the forum which showed detail of privately held land
- Download video recording of Online Forum 3: Monitoring the Western Grassland Reserve – and future priorities here
- Download text notes from discussions had during Site Visit 1 here
- Download summary of Site Visit 2 workshop here
- Download summary of survey on WGR forums, site visits and future, here